Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 27 - Chili's Chicken and Sushi

Diet tip for the day: If you have a choice between two portion sizes at a restaurant, either go for the smaller portion or get the bigger size and decide to only eat half. Make a dividing line ahead of time, or even ask for a box ahead of time and put the food your saving out of sight and out of mind.

I'm heading into my last full week of class before exam week at school. I'm working on papers and trying to study, trying to put the finishing touches on my last semester at this school. I'll be transferring to a school in my hometown, so my GPA is really crucial to financial aid at this point. Every second counts in exam week, which is why I'm a little confused as to why our exams start on Mother's Day. One of my exams consists of the professor giving us two broad questions at the end of our last lecture on Thursday and requiring that we write two 4-page essays by class time on Tuesday. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have another exam on Friday morning and a shift at work that day as well. Needless to say, celebrating Mother's Day that Sunday is out of the question. So today, my parents came to visit us and have lunch with my boyfriend and I. They have started dieting, too, so we went to Chili's, because of their Guiltless Grill options. My parents both got the Caribbean Chicken Salad (which looked amazing), my boyfriend got the Chicken and Green Chili Soup with a side salad, and I got the Margarita Grilled Chicken (which I looked up ahead of time).

We talked about our dieting tips and experiences for most of lunch, and this time, it was so much different than ever before. My mom mentioned how hard it is to say something when you see a loved one gaining weight, and I agreed, that if she had said anything, I would have said, "I knooowah!" in that terrible teenage voice that I had only months ago. And it's true. Partly because of the PCOS (but mainly because I was a teenager) I was never in the mood to hear advice or criticism from anyone close to me. I was a mess. Always moody, always sensitive, always quick to shut out and slow to shut up. Every conversation about weight consisted of me getting upset, crying, yelling, and turning off completely.

This time, it was different. I'm having success. I have someone dieting with me, and not half-heartedly. I'm pushing myself every day, and I'm enjoying dieting! Last year, my boyfriend told me, "I don't like when you're dieting." I used to let dieting get me upset. I'd obsess over how I looked and how my jean fit. This time, I don't have to obsess. I look in the mirror, and I immediately see that I look much thinner than I did weeks ago. It feels good to have a conversation about dieting where everyone is excited and smiling.

For dinner, my boyfriend and I bought some sushi, which ended up being about 200 calories per serving. I love sushi, especially veggie and crab sushi. The good thing about sushi is that it is usually filled with lots of vegetables, and even the kinds with rice are not too bad for you. Just be careful not to use too much dipping sauce. That's where your extra calories will come from.

I haven't received any recipes, yet. Remember, it's theshapeshifterblog@yahoo.com, and I'd love to get some ideas from you all.

For an exercise tip, try putting on some music while you're cleaning and keep yourself dancing while you're getting work done. You'll have more fun and maybe even put the wiggle back in your walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment